What can you do advert some of the potential basement water during the Spring months?
- Take a look at the foundation that is above grade outside, check for cracks.
- Check your gutters, make sure they are clean and clear of debris. And make sure downspouts are installed correctly
- Inside - look at walls, are there water lines? They will show where the water is coming from.
- Look at the tie rods, they rust and allow water to get through
- Check the bulkhead and floor/wall seam
Homeowner insurance does not usually cover basement flooding
- pay attention to the signs and get an estimate to re-mediate water leaks.
- You CAN get an insurance on your sump pump, this will cover damages is it fails for whatever reason(writer on reg homeowners insurance)
Basement Flooding Alarms:
- put on floor, from hardware store, battery operated $10-20. When water touches it will make a noise. Drawback, you might not be home
- Some security alarm companies offer a basement flooding alarm along with their security alarms.